Re: Formal explanations vs. pathways of understanding (was:

At 09:35 AM 7/18/96 -0700, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I, too, see great value in presenting more of the historical development
of physics in our courses. It is difficult to do so when we try to pack
too much in, but it is worth doing in my view because it is interesting,
and we often lose the interest of students with unleavened physics. The
additional value, which I will not minimize, is that if it is taught with
the proper degree of respect for our intellectual ancestors, students may
develop that respect themselves, something I think very desirable.

Placing the discipline in context (cultural, historical, personal) not only
gives the students more opportunities to internalize physics, but also
demonstrates that science is a wholly human activity. As such, science,
scientists, science education, and science educators are subject to all the
foibles and enoblements of humankind.
Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "An insanity as enormous, as complex *
P.O. Box 5005 * as the one around me had to be planned. *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * I've found the plan!" *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * -- Robert Heinlein, "They" (1948) *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
WWW: www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html