Re: momentum before force (was: friction)

Raacc@aol.com says:
It seems to me that velocity should be introduced followed immediately by
momentum. Then acceleration and net force can be defined as the slopes of
the velocity and momentum graphs respectively.)

When you teach this sequence, how do you justify momentum before force has
been introduced? Using a qualitative idea of force?

--James McLean

Isn't this the way Newton did it? Not to say that it is necessarily
the most transparent way but I believe Newton first wrote the second
law in terms of rate of change of momentum rather than acceleration.

The idea goes back at least to the middle ages when Philoponus wrote
(in Commentary on Aristotle's Physics) "it is necessary to assume
that some incorporeal motive force is imparted by the projector to
the projectile. . ." an idea which later gained the name of impetus
and more or less corresponds to the modern notion of momentum. So
the idea of momentum has a pretty long pedigree predating the
Newtonian relationship with force.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227