Re: population growth & physics ed

Leigh Palmer says:
It should always be pointed out that the rise in carbon dioxide levels
over the years of monitoring has been very much larger than the rise in
temperature over the same period.

Relative to what? Given that I'm sure that total absence CO2 would not
translate to an Earth temperature of 0 K, I don't know how to interpret
this statement.

Relative to the initial temperature and concentartion at the beginning of
the monitoring period. Sorry, I thought that would be clear from context.
The (relative) increase in temperature is only about 0.02%, and the CO2
concentration has increased by about 14% since 1958 (see, for example,
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/earth/waton/mauna.html).

I thought that, given the difference in dimensions, my comment would not
have been confusing. The relation is far from simple-mindedly linear as
extrapolation back to zero CO2 will readily demonstrate, and I leave as
an exercise for the reader.

Leigh