----------
From: David Dockstader <DRDOCK00@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
3. More misconceptions about friction: It is independent of
surface area:
Not true for tires. Why do you think they put wide tires on
performance cars?
It is independent of speed: Only within limitations, which for some
materials
are pretty restrictive. When we have lubricated bearings we still
talk about
friction, but now it is really viscosity. In my books viscous
forces are
certainly speed sensitive. Mu is a constant: only over a limited
range
of speeds and forces.