To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu at Internet@CCMNRC
cc:
From: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu at internet@CCMNRC
Date: 07-14-96 07:29:41 PM
Subject: NON-DELIVERY of: Re: Friction

This is because you do not demand the maximum forces from them. If you
were > racing you would have them slipping constantly and if you need to
stop in the > minimum time and distance you will want some slippage. Until
you start
tearing
rubber off the tire you have not reached maximum force.

You are correct in the assumption that I don't drive around town tearing
rubber off the tires on my car. <g> I always thought dragsters and race
drivers 'heated' their tires so as to alter the composition of the tire
with respect to the road surface, thus increasing the coefficient of
friction. Would not both static and kinetic increase when this is
accomplished?

Lowell Herr
FailureReason: MailEx0105: Unable to deliver message to cc:Mail.
IntendedRecipient: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu at Internet@CCMNRC