Re: Friction

Everyone seems anxious to teach that static friction is greater than sliding
friction and demonstrate it with objects on ramps etc. Yet, for most of us
car tires are the most improtant application of friction we experience, and
they work the other way around. Anybody have any good demonstrations to show
a case where static friction is less, to simulate tires? Quite honestly, I
think this is another case like the half a lens, and tides, where well
intentioned teachers who are out of touch with the real world mislead their
students. In this case wrong ideas about friction could lead to an accident.

If static friction is less then kinetic friction, then why all the
engineering put into anti-lock brakes? I can tell you from personal
experience that kinetic friction (sliding) is less than static friction.
After nearly running into a family of four two winters ago, you will not
convince me otherwise.

Lowell Herr