Re: population growth & physics ed

Raacc@aol.com says:

Last fall, a local newspaper ran an article that showed the average global
temperature versus year for about the last 100 years. The temperature scale
courses, I decided to analyze the data in a spreadsheet. The result was a
slope of 1.08 plus or minus 0.18 degrees F per 100 years with 95% confidence.
This is well below the 6 degrees stated in the article. Has anyone else
taken the time to analyze the data? If so, what were your results? What are
the natural temperature fluctuations for earth per 100 years? Is one degree
F within these natural fluctuations?

I have not seen numbers in a while, but I believe that the point is that
the temperature rise is anything *but* linear over the last 100 years.
Rather, the temperature has been relatively constant over the first 90
years, and then in the past decade there has been a dramatic increase. I
vaguely remember something like "of the 10 hottest years on record, 5 of
them have been in the last decade".

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu