Re: Empty Space

I have two questions -- well, actually I have a lot more, but I am going to
tell the list of only two -- unless I think of another while I type:

1) What would it mean to say that space is empty? Empty of what?

Empty of you and me -- lonely, ain't it? 8-)

Empty of matter, one would suppose, excluding vacuum fluctuations
(we'll avoid quantum gravity for now). If you want to include
photons, however, there is a great deal there in the form of the
cosmic background, and neutrinos even more so. So it sort of depends
on what you are willing to admit as worth considering.

2) What is the density of "empty" space"? For example how much mass is
there "between" Sol and a-Centauri?

For ordinary matter, it is very patchy but on average somewhat less
than 1 million H atoms per cubic meter.

Jim.Green@Snow.edu

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227