Re: AC polarity

At 11:37 PM 7/5/96 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
Thus a circuit across black/white is 117V -- likewise across red/white.
These two potentials have a phase difference of 180o. The stove is
connected across red/black for 230V operation.

I followed everything up to this point...but at this point I'm not
sure if we're talking outlet wiring or box wiring (for color conventions).
So let me rephrase and see if I'm getting the right idea. (Neat to see how
information is transmitted, eh? :-)
My conception now is that the long/left hole and the short/right
hole both have a 117V potential w/rt ground, and that they are 180 degrees
out of phase with each other. That would mean that measuring the maximum
potential across the left and right holes would give 230v. This doesn't
sound right, so please correct me where wrong.

My follow-up question would be: "What's the difference?" I can see
how two speakers connected the two ways would be out of phase with each
other and give destructive interference. But why does it matter to my
electric pencil sharpener or my box fan which way the plug goes in?

Gratefully,
Chris "they never talked about that in MY physics classes" Clayton

-- Chris Clayton
misterc@uiuc.edu http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~misterc
Senior+, Teaching of Chemistry University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
MSN Chemistry Forum Tutor: ChrisC_Asst@msn.com

Yes...I'm STILL an undergraduate!!! But not for long...HIRE ME! HIRE ME!