Old Stars

I wonder if someone could help with an answer to the following that
my High School students might understand.

When we look at the oldest stars we can see, we are looking back to
a time just after the big bang. How is it that we (planet earth) have
arrived 'here' before the light that left those stars?

Thanks for your help, this seems to come up every year and I have never
had a very satisfactory answer.

David Abineri dabineri@tso.cin.ix.net