Rainbows

Regarding the formation of rainbows: Last week, on a drive north
through Oregon, I saw one of the most brilliant double rainbows I have
ever seen. The primary rainbow was especially bright and, looking
carefully, both my wife and I saw (or mass hallucinated) a phenomenon I
have not before seen mentioned--two or three additional, dimmer, and
perhaps somewhat narrower sets of ~green through violet bands on the inner
edge of the rainbow. Kind of a ROYGBVgbvgbv effect. Does anyone have any
ideas about this?

John

P.S. I am electronically challenged at my cabin in Puget Sound and may
take a day or two to respond to any comments or inquiries directed my way.

A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/