Re: Physics Myths

Rick T. wrote:
Thanks to Jim, Jack, and all the others who have shown that most
real-world phenomenon are just too damned complicated...

Maybe more people need to hear this. Then when someone says they want
to spend our tax dollars to make us invulnerable to nuclear attack we'll
realize that their head must be full of cotton, hay, and rags and when an
education professor says he can make education a science like physics and
guarantee success,the class will know enough to crack up and roll on the
floor.

We and our students need to know that the best we can do is simplified models,
but if we recognize the limitations of these models they can be very useful,
and as long as we recognize these models for what they are we should be
skeptical enough to stay out of serious trouble.