Re: 'toon physics

PPARKER@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU wrote:

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:42:54 -0500
From: sample@lyon.edu (John D. Sample)

But *later* some conscientious teacher is going to have to unteach that
stuff along with all the cartoon physics the kids learned from TV.

Now there is an interesting idea. A lot of people have been talking about
video analysis using videos of objects falling, colliding, etc. Has
anybody tried this with cartoons to show that the characters are violating
the laws of physics? It might make an interesting project to "discover"
the cartoon laws which apply to the roadrunner in a particular case.

I regularly use cartoons in both my physics classes and in my physical science
classes. After we study Newton's laws, We view a series of cartoons and they have a
writing assignment based on what they see. They must describe what happened, provide a
force diagram, and be able to describe which laws are involved and how they were
supported or violated. Here is a link to the "Cartoon Laws"
http://www.nwlink.com/~deviant/phys.html
--
Richard Goode
Physics Teacher

"Man does not cease to play because he grows old;
Man grows old because he ceases to play."