Re: Viewing the Image

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996 10:06:32 -0400 (EDT) Eugene P. Mosca said:
The difficulties encountered in drilling holes in the plastic lens were
that the plastic formed ridges (rims), the plastic got cracks in it, and
the lens broke in half.

Gene
I'd guess your problems may have been a dull tool, drilling too fast
the lens and drill not firmly held and alligned, and possibly not very
good plastic.
I never tried to drill a lens, but I've cut and machined plastic parts to
use between crossed polarizers to do stress analysis and have learned to
overcome the difficulties by using sharp tools, slow turning machines, and
a good vise. If you use a slow turning drill press or milling machine, and
clamp the piece securely in a vice with hard rubber inserts, and use a sharp
tool I think it should work. I've had better luck making holes with an end
mill instead of a drill bit.