Re: inquiry based courses

Chris,

Two years ago I faced a similar situation in my HS physics classes. I
came to the conclusion that many students are incredibly uncomfortable
with ambiguity and "not knowing the right answer." This last year, I
stuck to my guns with the inquiry-based approach, but I also included
some simple plug-and-chug problem solving and easy recall homework
problems as confidence-builders and ambiguity-diminishers.

I also decided that, after creating a need to know in my students through
an inquiry-based approach, it is perfectly appropriate to simply tell
them "the answer." In other words, the traditional physics lecture,
where I stand at the board and explain physics to the students, is
extremely effective when the students have been struggling to answer the
very questions that the physics addresses. The challenge is to determine
the best time give up the role of problem-poser and take the role of
information-giver. Using this approach I had fewer frustrated students
and found that their impression of me as a teacher was elevated (not my
main goal, but a nice outcome).

Dave

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer