Re: alloys

Dr P Barker says:

In materials science you can get an effect of
cocrystallization where instead of getting a random
"solid solution" all the atoms of one element in the alloy
will occupy a particular lattice site (eg the centre in
body centred cubic). This changes the crystal structure
and (I think) is known as a "reaction". I have a feeling
the copper/gold alloys may do this under the right conditions.

I don't know what constitutes a "reaction", but you are right about copper
and gold. 'Cu 3 Au' and 'Au 3 Cu' both have face centered cubic structure
with one of the cubic sublatices being all one element, and the other 3
cubic sublatices being the other.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu