Re: I`m at my wits end again! Can someone answer t

Hi!
At least for "classical" chemical reactions, there is the
"law of fixed proportions", i.e. in water there are always exactly
twice as many atoms of hydrogen as of oxygen. As far as I know,
this is not the case in brass nor bronze.
Regards Emilio

In materials science you can get an effect of
cocrystallization where instead of getting a random
"solid solution" all the atoms of one element in the alloy
will occupy a particular lattice site (eg the centre in
body centred cubic). This changes the crystal structure
and (I think) is known as a "reaction". I have a feeling
the copper/gold alloys may do this under the right conditions.

Phil
Phil Barker phone: 01483 259 329
Coordinator fax: 01483 259 501
CTI Physics