Re: Newton's 3rd Law

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, James Mclean wrote:
Tom K. McCarthy says:
> What's wrong with the notion of action/reaction? By using concrete
> examples to help the student experience Newton's 3rd Law, it seems quite
> natural to describe these as action/reaction, ...

I think that the problem is in the everyday usage of those words.
If you are not using physics-speak, then you would probably say something
like:
action: I push the cart.
reaction: The cart moves.
In terms of the 3rd law, the reaction should be that the cart pushes back
on me. You *could* teach that there are 2 meanings for the word reaction,
the physics meaning and the everyday meaning. But it's probably easier to
avoid the confusing nomenclature altogether.

I agree with the idea of staying away from the "action-reaction"
terminology for another reason also. Stating Newton's 3rd law as:
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reation."
opens this law to be used to defend all kinds of social interactions, e.g.
I have heard it thrown around to defend why it is necessary to use "force"
to respond to insults spoken against us. Whether that is a correct way to
respond or not, it definitely was not what Newton was trying to get at!

Richard
Dr. Richard L. Bowman
Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu
Bridgewater College phone: 540-828-5441