Re: Question for Brad Shue

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, JACK L. URETSKY (C) 1996; HEP DIV., ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB, ARGONNE, IL 60439 wrote:
Hi Brad-
I think that I agree with everything you say in your response.
Now the question is: given that we can't see what "pops into their heads",
how do we identify the good grapes?
Regards,
Jack

That seems to be the question everyone is trying to answer. I don't know.
Mabye change the way we teach and test. We are working on that here right
now. How do we analyze a curriculum, texts and teaching methods in a
quantative manor?

I don't have a problem with the traditional lecture and testing methods
and I learn from them. But then agian, I think like a scientist... most
people don't. Most students who take introductory physics courses are
not "scientists", they are fufilling a science requirement or part of
their curriculum in another department.

I think we are doing a disservice to them, and ourselves as physicists, if
we fail to adjust our teaching style into something they can more easily
understand. You don't have to water it down, you just need to present the
information in a manor they can understand.

IE: I can say the exact same thing in two different languages; Both are
equally acurate, it just depends on who you are talking to and what
language THEY speak.
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059