Re: My Optics Education Project (MOEP)

On Thu, 30 May 1996 nafindley@vassar.edu wrote:

Hello All,
My name is Nate Findley, I am a research fellow at Vassar College
and I am working under Cindy Schwarz. One of our projects this summer is
to create a diagnostic exam that professors can use to test student's
qualitative knowledge of optics. We are trying to figure out what concepts
students have trouble with in optics so, similarly to the FCI, the test
will show the difference before and after a intro physics course. If
anyone can help us with our problem that would be great! Also, any
comments and questions are welcome.

Thanks,
Nate

What level do you want for the test? pre-general physics? post-general
physics? post-optics course?

What format are you thinking about? short answer? problems?

What topics should be included? lasers? wave motion in general?
geometrical image formation? physical optics?

Barlow Newbolt
Washington and Lee University