Re: Info request-European Physics/science Museums

I, too, was in Florence when the science museum I wanted to visit was
closed but I found a "zoological" museum run by the University. (From the
Uffizi, cross the famous bridge and walk a couple more blocks.) It had
animal specimens from the world over all taxidermied. Plus it had a
fascinating collection of wax models of the entire human anatomy. There
would be several of, say, the hand. One was the skeleton, one with the
tendons, one with the nerves, and one with the muscles. Every part of the
body was there. As I recall, they were all done in the late 1700"s.

One of the better things about this museum was that it was partially air
conditioned. That was greatly appreciated when the temperature was about
35C. However, in 1994, they had no English translations.

Chuck

As for the Florence science museum: I've been in Florence three times. The
first time I looked for it but couldn't find it. The second time I found it
but it was closed (Italian museums have a tendency to be closed for no good
reason). The third time it was closed for a good reason--it was the day the
Uffizi was bombed! Oh well, another excuse to go back to Italy!

Martha.

Martha Takats
Physics Department
Ursinus College