Request: Text Suggestions

Just wondering if anyone on the phys-l list could recommend readings
(textbooks, articles, etc.) for a course on 20th-Century Physics that
I will be teaching this fall. The course is for non-science majors at
a small, liberal-arts college. I would like the subject matter to be
pretty broad; for example, in addition to topics such as relativity
and quantum mechanics, I'd like to discuss such areas as solid-state
physics, perhaps chaos and nonlinear dynamics, maybe even the physics
of climate. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Ari W. Epstein
awe@pimms.mit.edu