Re: bubbles in my compass

I am sure that the plastic of your compass face is soft enough
that the oil in the compass is essentially in equilibrium with ambiant
air pressure. Thus, pressure as well as temperature can play a role in
solubility of whatever gas is involved.

Hmmm... you have me squeezing the faces of the empty capsule
of a broken compass. The walls are really very rigid. I can
imagine they would flex (I mean - everything does) but only with
a significant delta P across them.

Yesterday I took out my mapping compass, which has been lying
quietly in a desk drawer since I last used it in December. Then
I was working on a map not far from here, about 100m higher than
where I live. It was also cold - round about zero Celsius. I
remember being very bothered by the big bubble which was
upsetting the disk with the degree markings when I used it then.
Well, the bubble, very topically, has disappeared!

Mark.

Mark Sylvester, Duino, Trieste, Italy.