Re: 2 body problem

On Thu, 2 May 1996, al clark wrote:

All the recent discussion of GR has generated a question in my mind. Can
anyone direct me references regarding the 2-body problem in general
relativity, ie. the evolution of the metric and positions of 2 "small",
isolated masses?
Al Clark

I think what you want is the equation for "geodesic deviation," the
separation between two neighboring geodesics. It's given in any of
the standard texts under that name -- the one I happen to have open at
the moment is Foster & Nightingale, A Short Course in General Relativity,
pg. 113, ff. (Second Edition, Springer-Verlag, 1995).

A. R. Marlow

This is a restricted two body problem in which one is of negligible
mass compared to the other. The general two body problem in GR is
still unsolved except by numerical simulation.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926