Re: Question About RAM

I know more about PC's than Macs (somebody else can comment about
those) but here is some general information.

The speed rating (70 ns vs. 80 ns) is how much time is required for
one memory read/write cycle. It use to be more important than it is
these days since you wanted to choose memory capable of keeping up
with your CPU (eg 1/(70ns) = 14 MHz). This is no longer such a big
issue since DRAM is WAY slower than any modern CPU but it still has a
small effect on total system performance. These days, the much faster
(and more expensive) SRAM is used as a cache between the CPU and DRAM
to help keep up but even it is slower than most CPUs.

To help with speeding up memory accesses, SIMMS are usually installed
in banks of 2, interleaved so that one can be read while the other is
refreshing. This reduces the amount of time the CPU spends twiddling
its thumbs but it also requires you to install SIMMS in matched
pairs -- same size, same speed. You CAN mix different speeds across
different banks but it isn't generally a very good idea since all the
SIMMS will run at the slowest of the two speeds so you basically
wasted the faster ones.

You need to make sure you have a free bank available before ordering.
If not, you will have to remove some SIMMS (in pairs) to install the
new ones and this will of course affect your purchasing decision.
Their are companies which will buy used SIMMS for remanufacturing and
this will reduce your expenditure a bit should you have to replace
SIMMS rather than just adding new ones. You can find ads for them in
the back of publications like MacUSER, PC Magazine and so on. Their
is one company, Autotime, which will take your old SIMMS and make
new, bigger ones out of them by pulling off the chips and soldering
them to a new board. I don't recommend them since my experience with
changing some 30 pin SIMMS to 72 pin was dreadful. They do not assume
any responsibility for insuring the safe return of your property.

It is plenty safe enough for you to install the memory if you are
careful. I recommend buying an antistatic wrist band (about $5-10)
and making sure you are well and truly grounded -- static is the
death of electronics. Once you are grounded, though, your fingers are
fine for holding the SIMM and you don't really need any additional
tools. The little piece of plastic serves more as an insulator than a
holder and you would be better served by the wrist band. Just be
careful not to force them in since the SIMM will crack if you give it
a chance.

Also, you might want to call around to several of the companies you
are looking at. Memory prices are pretty volatile (they're traded
like pork bellies these days) so the price in the ad is undoubtedly
out of date. Fortunately, the price has been on a steady downward
spiral the past couple of months so you should be able to get off
without too much expense.

One thing that would help is if I knew the difference between 70 ns and
80 ns memeory. One catalog advertises 70 ns and the other 80 ns. I know
this somehow relates to the speed, but how much of a difference is it?
Must I use a certain one or can I choose? If I can choose, what do you
suggest?

One last thing. Do you think it is safe enough for me to install the
memory? Some ofthe catalogs are trying to sell a $10 piece of plastic to
hold the chip. Do I need that?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Gillis

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926