RE: Uneven tests

How do you evaluate the test where the student gets
some of the "A questions" and blows most of the "C questions".
Jack,
Hope you don't mind my jump in here...Success on "A questions"
requires knowledge of "C questions" but not vice-versa. It is more
complicated...will defer to Emilio....
If the item discriminations are known to be VERY different AND
this individual pattern is extremely unique THEN is it possible that
Validity of that person's test might be questioned.

You could privately ask the student (1) "Were you feeling OK?" or
(2)"Do you want to talk to me about anything?" or (3)"Did you see the
answers on another test to the problems on page 2?"
---
I once called a student into conference in private for the very
reason you pose here (a series of high discrimination questions correct but
most less discriminationg questions incorrect) you pose here. I asked
question (2). The person burst into tears and confessed to a positive
response on question (3) which I did not ask. It was a shock to
me...totally unexpected...and a vivid memory.

tim