Re: Stripping/refinishing maple lab table tops

On Mon, 6 May 1996, David Seely wrote:
Does anyone out there have any experience in stripping and refinishing 4'x
8' laminated maple lab table tops? Ours have seen 20+ years of service and
have recently become the target of doodlers, graffiti artists, etc. We
would like to talk to the people that made the tables.
Any ideas, wisdom, etc. would be appreciated.

Dave Seely
Albion College
dseely@albion.edu

We have some defaced tables... 1-1/4 " thick stone-like with black tops.
With proper preparation, filling craters with body putty, sanding, and a
top coat of black-dyed Envirotex resin, our tables are in much better,
almost like-new condition. Still not student proof, but the graffitti is
gone.
Envirotex Corp is a local firm. Normal resin is clear and leaves a coat,
perhaps 1/32 inch thick, or more.
Contact:
Envirotex
(707) 443-9323
Be sure to either talk to their technical dept and CAREFULLY follow
mixing directions, or read printed info very carefully. Adequate mixing
is ESSENTIAL for resin to properly cure.

A. Weldon Benzinger
Physics & Chem Teacher
Eureka High School
1915 J St.