Re: 2 body problem

On Thu, 2 May 1996, al clark wrote:

All the recent discussion of GR has generated a question in my mind. Can
anyone direct me references regarding the 2-body problem in general
relativity, ie. the evolution of the metric and positions of 2 "small",
isolated masses?
Al Clark

I think what you want is the equation for "geodesic deviation," the
separation between two neighboring geodesics. It's given in any of
the standard texts under that name -- the one I happen to have open at
the moment is Foster & Nightingale, A Short Course in General Relativity,
pg. 113, ff. (Second Edition, Springer-Verlag, 1995).

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453