Re: Black holes

Regarding Chris's message:

Date sent: Wed, 01 May 1996 12:03:28 +0100
Send reply to: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
From: chris.jones@ucl.ac.uk (Chris Jones)
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: Black holes

Can anybody explain to me why the calculation of the Schwarzschild radius:
R(sch) = (2GM/c^2)
is valid? I have trouble explaining why this should form the event horizon
because:
1. The equation can be derived purely from the one for escape velocity,
which is non-relativistic

I think that this is a case where the wrong theory (classical
mechanics) gives the right answer. Also, note that even though the
formula is the same, the interpretation is different. If you are
inside the event horizon, then you cannot get out, no matter what
your speed (that would be the correct, relativistic result).

The classical formula would say that if your speed was
large (but less than c), you could leave the black hole and cross
the event horizon--you would eventually be pulled back, but the
classical result would say that you would be able to cross the event
horizon, which is wrong.

Hope this helps,

Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff