RE: The Rauber Marlow Chronicles

Nor should you abandon weight in an introductory class -- you have to
crawl before you can walk. But is fact according to the equivalence
principle, this is just what you DO have to postulate. Gravity is
locally equivalent to a uniform acceleration; i.e. a noninertial
frame.

Do we have to postulate a frame without ANY gravitational
effects to have an inertial frame--that is, must we be very far away from
any massive body? Somehow I just don't see abandoning weight as a force
in introductory courses. None of the dynamics we normally work on will
work without it (at least without mental gymnastics way beyond my
students).

Rick

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926