Re: Van de Graaff cleaning

The other thing to clean is the plexiglass cylinder which supports
the dome. If this is dirty charge seems to leak right back down to
the base. My impression this time around was that the particulate
nature of the dust on the dome was a factor, since a rough surface
begins to be the equivalent of a surface with many little lightning
rods on it.

I myself had only limited success with Van de Graff. But as I was reading the
manual, it talked about cleaning the surface of the dome and the belt as well
as one can to remove oil and grease that builds up over a period of time. There
was mention of using a hair dryer as well. There was no mention of this in the
list. So I thought I would mention it. I haven't tried it since. If you tried
this process, please let us know if it worked.

Abby

| Gary Hemminger |
| Dwight-Englewood School |
| 315 E. Palisade Ave. |