Re[2]: Radiant energy cooktops

I have a question concerning this also. I was watching one of
those cooking shows and they were showing the new Culinary Institute
of America school in CA. The chef doing the show mentioned the
"cutting edge" stoves and how nice they were. There was a pot of
something boiling on the stove and he put his hand right down on the
surface only an inch or less away and said it was not hot (the fact
that he kept his hand there for several seconds was a testament to
that). It looked like one of those radiant cooktops and he mentioned
something about magnetic induction. Could someone give us more info
on this? It sounds interesting and might make for a good topic to
introduce certain E&M ideas. Thanks.

Picking up on old mail:

Radiant cooktops and induction cooktops are two different devices. The
radiant types which Ken Johnson asked about essentially are lamps which put
out lots of energy at IR frequencies. Most metal pans are absorbers in
this range, so I believe that most will work. On the other hand, inductive
cooktops work by emitting RF frequency EM radiation. Non-ferromagnetic
pans are essentially transparent to this and do not heat. I own one of
these latter devices and shop for new pans with a magnet. Many pans for
sale will not work on this type of cooktop. It's advantage is that the
response time for both starting and stopping is very close to that of gas,
but without the open flame of gas.

This is interesting...I would have guessed that any metallic pan would work
with the RF cook top. I guess the heating is not due to eddy currents but
rather by causing magnetic domains to flip-flop? Hmm...I guess if your pot
boiled dry, the heating mechanism would automatically limit the pot
temperature to the Curie temp for that alloy?

Dewey

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)385-3775
Department of Physics/SN318 Fax: (208)385-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@varney.idbsu.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625