Re: The Soapbox

While we are talking about what students may or may not retain from high
school physics, let's not forget the old "carry-over" factor. I teach a
basic, algebra/trig based physics course in a two-year technical college.
My A and B students - what there are of them - go into statics in the
mechanical technology dept. and exhibit little or no knowledge of free body
diagrams, etc. It's simply easier to announce they don't know that and hope
their instructor will start all over again.

In fact when I'm teaching the 2nd semester course and we come to waves and
vibrations the very students I had in 1st semester have to re-learn
kinetic & potential energy formulas, units, etc. It's part of being a
student, I'm afraid.

Nancy Douglas
College of Agriculture & Technology
SUNY