Re: The Soapbox

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 dykstrad@varney.idbsu.edu wrote:

With respect to Joel Rauber's comments along these lines, on the few
occasions that I have ever looked for any connections with having had high
school physics, I have not found any corelations with performance in
college physics. So if there are any found, they are apparently not
universal.

My spouse who is a physician teaches her medical students that if you do
not take a temperature you will never have a patient with a fever. Don't
look through the journals and you can conclude that connections do not
exist.

A quote from the Nov 1993 Physics Teacher in an article by Gerald Hart
and Paul Cottle. The title is Academic Backgrounds and Achievement in
College Physics

"It seems plausible that students who have had previous exposure to basic
physics concepts in a high-school physics course would have an advantage
in taking college physics and our results support this hypothesis. the
distributions of grades (in their college physic course) among students
who had and had not taken physics in high school are shown. A comparison
of these two distributions using the Mann-Whitney test yields
statistically significant differences in the performance of the two
groups. Students who had taken physics in high school earned an average
grade of 2.4 in College Physic A; students who had not taken high-school
physics had an average grade of only 1.8. Of the students who had not
taken high-school physics 40% earned grades of D or F (compared with only
18% for students who had taken high-school physics). Only 7% of the non
high school physics eared A or A- but 18% of the students with
high-school physics earned A or A- in College Physics A."

Of course one can alway dismiss any study by stating that it is not
universal. Gosh we don't even know if physics is taught in other parts
of the universe.

Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher Something witty
Marian High School Should go here