Re: Bimodal Grade Distributions

In Georgia, after I earned a degree in Chemical Engineering, I had enough
science courses (two times over) to get science certification, but I had to
take some education courses and do an internship (on the job). Georgia has
no program to certify teachers in physics, but has a comprehensive science
certification test which must be passed in addition to the coursework. The
coursework requires no physics courses, but physics is covered lightly on
the exam. A lot of people fail this test if they only have a biology
background. The chemistry and physics people and former med-school
students generally do better.

One funny thing that happened to me was that the person who checked my
transcript did not recognize Engineering Statistics (Listed on the
transcript as STA 2101 Engineering Stat) as a statistics course, but allowed
"Calc/Analyt Geom" count for College Geometry toward math certification.
The clerks decide who gets certification, whether they can read the
transcript or not.