Physics Certification

You can learn and teach WELL without having a physics major.
Bob Blankinship

The problem is more than just "wacko educators run amock" (down at the
state department of Ed). The issue is not just "a disdain for hard
work" (like those "social studies types"). I'm sure such events contribute.
The overwhelming problem is supply and demand.

In our region 35-40% never graduate HS because our standards will not
allow it (not so bad). When a class graduates, in our area, only 12% of
the students have taken Physics. If they do it is from a teacher who teaches
three other courses (like Earth Science, Bilogy & Chemistry). There is only
one fulltime public school Physics program in our area...three classes of
25 in a class of 400. A vibrant program in this area!

The problem is that because of lack of DEMAND there is no need for someone
certified in Physics. The Physics is usually part time and so a part time
and partly certified person meets the need. If you do hire a "fully
qualified person in Physics" then there is a strong possibility you may
have that person teaching OUT of FIELD the MAJORITY OF THE DAY. That brings
financial penalty to school system here.....

Unless of course...every one having a major in Physics is allowed to
teach anything...because after all we are so extremely competent in
everything. ;)

There are options:
* Start a private school with all Physics teachers. Try to contain
the flood of applicants by charging the highest rate possible.
* Start a Charter School. Use a mixture of grants and public funds.
Watch the tremendous flood of student bang at the gate
of a school with 16 PhD's in Physics earning $29K a year.
* Don't teach physics at all. Colleges don't require it and only
a small percent take it anyways. That way the now smaller
percent who then go on to Univ Physics will likely
be more interested anyways.
* Require all teachers to have at least 82 hours in Physics without
regard for discipline. This will improve education in every
subject area.

HA!

Tim
High School Physics Truck Driver

Tim Burgess Alabama Science in Motion
102 Espejo Street Physics Department - ILB-35
Mobile, AL 36604 University of South Alabama
tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu Mobile, Alabama 36688
(334)-432-3024 (334)-460-6224