Re: chaos demonstrations

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Bob Hunt wrote:

I have been contacted by a local science museum that wants to set up a
display showing "chaos," ideally with interactive components for children.
Any ideas?

Bob hunt
Johnson County Community College
Overland Park, KS
bhunt@jcccnet.johnco.cc.ks.us

Build two identical double pendula. For small oscillations, the two
systems behave identically. For large initial oscillations, the two
motions diverge rapidly.

I build one here for the display case. Students play with it all the
time. It's really fun to watch.

I can get you some details if you want more, let me know.

Sam