Re: Bimodal Grade Distributions

Tim Sullivan asks:
I think this is a very interesting subject as well. I have a very basic
question. What are the physics course requirements to be "certified" in
physics?
Hi Tim:
Certification is strictly a state matter; there are no uniform
standards. The State of Illininois essentially delegates the matter to
the teachers' collegees, subject to some guidelines (I think that such
delegation is illegal, but nobody has ever seen fit to challenge it).
The statutory guidelines are set out in the Illinois school code. One
mandatory requirement (which makes a lot of sense) is 10 weeks of
supervised student teaching.
An amusing sidelight on the requirements is that I had a heck
of a time getting the U of Ill to recognize my physics education because
all my courses were taken at MIT, which is not approved as a teacher's
college.
Regards,
Jack
"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography