RE: What is Latitude?

Hi David-
You ask:
I have a question that I'm hoping some crack phys-ler can answer. This may
not be the proper forum for this question, but I don't subscribe to any
geography or cartography mail lists.

What is the "official" definition of latitude?

If the Earth were a sphere the answer to the question would be straight-
forward. Since the Earth's shape is much closer to an oblate ellipsoid of
revolution than a sphere we can define at least two inequivalent latitudes at
a given place P at its surface.
The starting point for answering any such question, which is about
a definition, which is arbitrary, is an encyclopedia or (in this particular
case) an almanac. I checked, before responding, my 1945 Encyclopedia
Americana, which was unhelpful. Where have you looked?
Regards,
Jack