Re: Accurate Mounting of Sundial

Do NOT do what they did at the University of South Carolina. A group
of alumni donated a very nice sundial and some benches to go round
it. The University mounted it on a pedestal, with the benches round
about, and then decided it would look nice with some trees. So the
sundial is entirely surrounded by trees. It _is_ a nice, shady place
to have your lunch.

I have a book which discusses this sort of thing, along with
construction procedures for many sorts of sundials and astrolabes. If
no one else answers in the meantime, I'll try to remember to send the
ref next time I'm at the office. It sort of depends on exactly what
type of sundial you have.

Would anyone have suggestions as to procedures to take into account
if mounting a sundial so that it will read accurate time. Assume I know
"High Noon" at this location.

Lowell Herr

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926