Re: Privacy

Hi Jim. I'm at a High School here (13-18 year olds) 900+ E-Mail
accounts. Excellent access to student files, records for staff.
Tons of shared departmental directories. But what is in _My_
subdirectory, Noone has access to, no-one touches. The same in
general for students!! We seem to treat our students better than
your staff!!

Our "network backbone team", as they call themselves, ie sysops, have
instituted a new set of usage rules which include the following:

"... user ... understands and agrees they [sic] are [sic] specifically
waiving any expectation or right to privacy in their [sic] communications,
data, programs, or other personal information stored, displayed, accessed,
communicated, published, or transmitted" on the college's "Technology
Facilities" ie computer system.

This is not a 'Sysop' decision. This must come from higher up. I
can understand a disclaimer - "we can't be responsible for data loss
etc if there is a system crash - but this privacy bit - if E-mail is
addressed wrong and comes to the postmaster - mybe - but if it comes
to you, it should go to you.

So I guess I don't like the extent of this waiver. Not that it would
bother me if anyone _did_ read my correspondence etc. Except for the
od little bit. Here we have been having a major national controversy
about the standatd of moderation in a key national exam.

A 250g container of cherry stones is dropped 10m. With what
force does it hit the ground. Answer: 2.5N. (!!) Written by a
biologist I think!!

Som quite sensitive and confidential stuff passed my way as the
Institute of Physics sought some clarification on thins, moderation
processes etc. Pre-release press statements. Letters to the
Minisyter of Education etc. I would NOT have wanted this stuff not
private.

1) Do I remember correctly that this is an ongoing court case somewhere?
Pass.

2) Are these rules similar to the rules of *your* system?
No. Students to get on E-Mail need to sign (electronically) a code
of good behaviour. They just get logged off for problems etc.

3) How do the members of this list feel about this
issue?

4) Where might a discussion of this issue be seen on the Internet?

1. The collegial environment fostered by the open approach to stuff
is great at my school. Staff need to feel secure I think. Otherwise
it's back to carrying round your disks or working off a notebook!!!!

2. At a University in this country a
HOD set up his own dept system
to avoid some of the problems you speak of. Mark handling. Student
Records. So there may be other problems here.

Good Luck.
Don't let restricitve red tape get you down!!

Derek.

Derek Chirnside, Physics Department, Shirley Boys High School.
PO Box 27 025, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand.
chirnsided@mars.shirley.school.nz