Privacy

I don't know where to ask this question -- would someone please direct me to
the best list:

Our "network backbone team", as they call themselves, ie sysops, have
instituted a new set of usage rules which include the following:

"... user ... understands and agrees they [sic] are [sic] specifically
waiving any expectation or right to privacy in their [sic] communications,
data, programs, or other personal information stored, displayed, accessed,
communicated, published, or transmitted" on the college's "Technology
Facilities" ie computer system.

1) Do I remember correctly that this is an ongoing court case somewhere?

2) Are these rules similar to the rules of *your* system?

3) How do the members of this list feel about this issue?

4) Where might a discussion of this issue be seen on the Internet?

TX Jim Green