Re: Aims of a Freshamn Physics Course

I am trying to formulate some goals for my Freshman Elementary Classical
Physics class that I teach here at the University of Akron, and I came up
with
A basic knowledge of the concepts of physics.
The ability to apply these concepts to concrete situations.
An understanding of the mathematical expression of these
concepts.
An ability to solve numerical problems.
A familiarity with the great names of physics & their contribution.

Is this list reasonable ? Does someone have any different goals ?

I think this is not a bad list but I would add a couple of ideas:
An ability to solve CONCEPTUAL AND numerical problems.
An appreciation of how the discipline of physics relates to biology
and chemistry.

Ivan E. Rouse
Chair, Physics/Engineering
La Sierra University