use of videos in class

Some comments were made about the fact that videos tend to induce
REM in students. I've long noticed that students tend to react to a TV
the same way they do at home--they tune it out so it becomes part of the
background noise. To deal with this, I (a) make sparing use of such things
in class and (b) provide a list of questions that the students must find
answers to as the video occurs. The questions are given in the order in
which they appear, and they are fair game for exams. (This last thing
really helps the students concentrate on the video!)

Steve Luzader
Frostburg State University
sluzader@fre.fsu.umd.edu