negative mass, was Re: g

Exactly. The negative mass still falls. Now what do you get if you tie a 1kg
mass to a -1kg mass with a string? What's the net force on it? Now cut the
string.

All this isn't original with me. There was an article a while back (in TPT?
I have no idea) titled something like "negative mass can be positively
amusing."

To respond to Paul Camp's comment--I meant that for the sake of this thought
experiment that we were to _take_ both the inertial and gravitational mass
as negative, not that they were necessarily both negative. You're right--if
you separate the two the experiment gets curiouser and curiouser...

Here is another fun one. Check out

http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/pams/physics/PCEP/impec/slowfall.html

This page holds a scan of a real letter that my department got some years
ago. (Actually, it arrived days before I was to teach F=ma to my first
college class. Prime material.) The author poses a serious question that
gets at the relation between gravitational force and acceleration very
nicely. I like to give the letter to my students and ask them to criticize
the author's physics. The process gets them working at a surprisingly high
level.

BTW, the web page is part of a class site that's really designed only for
internal use. Poke around, but it is not pretty.

JEG