Re: 1957 Comet

There were two great comets that year, Comets Mrkos and Arend-Roland. My
guess is that it was Mrkos that you saw because it displayed very
definable dust and gas tails.

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, SR. MARGARET CLARKE wrote:

The best comet I ever saw was while visiting my relatives in Boise Idaho,
Easter week of 1957. It lay right across the zenith in the early
nighttime. The tail was at least 30 degrees long and easily naked-eye
visible. Judging from my subsequent experience in the intervening 40
years, I would say that it should have been memorable, but no one I have
ever asked remembers it, nor is it mentioned in any of the number of
introductory Astronomy texts I have used over the decades. Does anyone else
remember seeing this comet, and if so, did it have a name?

The temp here last night was -15 F and the sky was full of blowing snow, so
Hyakutake continues to be a small fuzzball as far as we are concerned --
no one wants to stay outside long enuf to become dark adapted. Margaret
Clarke in Duluth. mclarke@fac1.css.edu

Tom K. McCarthy Email:mcca6300@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov