PHYS-L moves to new home March 18

Here's a draft announcement that I will posting soon to old PHYS-L. Any
suggestions, additions, deletions?

***********begin draft announcement
PHYS-L will move Monday March 18 to a new host, where its address will be:

PHYS-L@atlantis.uwf.cc.edu.

Atlantis is a SparcStation running Unix, and sits directly on the Internet.
The list software is called ListProc, which produces mail distribution in
the same manner as our current Listserv. Here are some details:

Q1: WHY IS THIS MOVE OCCURRING?
A1: The mainframe at the University of West Florida will be unplugged in
December 1996, and all programs, including VM Listserv, must find new homes.
The new Unix-based ListProc software offers us at least two major
advantages. First, ListProc is fully licensed and supported. Our current
version of VM Listserv is the now-outdated shareware version, and is
unsupported. Second, since atlantis is directly on the internet,
distribution to all phys-l subscribers (including those on bitnet) will be
much more efficient and will eliminate the REPLY-TO: problem that some of
you are experiencing.

Q2. WHAT CHANGES IN PHYS-L DISTRIBUTION WILL OCCUR?
A2: Almost none. You'll receive email just as you currently do. The TO:
header will read PHYS-L@atlantis.uwf.cc.edu, instead of your personal
userid, but it will be delivered directly to your account nevertheless.

Q3: HOW DO I POST TO THE NEW LIST?
A3: Send your post to PHYS-L@atlantis.uwf.cc.edu. Mail to the old address,
phys-l@uwf.cc.uwf.edu, will temporarily be forwarded to the new list.

Q4: WHAT ABOUT SPECIAL OPTIONS I HAVE IN EFFECT FOR MY SUBSCRIPTION, SUCH AS
NOMAIL OR DIGEST?
A4: The same options will be in effect.

Q5: WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE PASSWORD I RECEIVE WITH MY NEW SUBSCRIPTION?
A5: Probably nothing. It is used for telnet interactive sessions with
listproc, and I expect that most of you will continue to use mail for
communication. Your password is also used when you want to change your
subscription address, but when you lose your password, just write me
directly and I'll be glad update your subscription.

Q6: WHAT ARE SOME COMMON COMMANDS I MIGHT NEED TO ISSUE TO LISTPROC, AND
WHERE DO I SEND THEM?
A6: Commands to the server should be contained in the body of email sent
directly to the server:

LISTPROC@ATLANTIS.UWF.CC.EDU

Please do not send commands to PHYS-L, as these will be interpreted as
messages to be distributed to each subscriber. Some useful commands are:

SUBSCRIBE PHYS-L Firstname Lastname Subscribe to the list
SIGNOFF PHYS-L Leave the list
REVIEW PHYS-L Get list of subscribers and
listing of parameters
SET PHYS-L MAIL POSTPONE Listproc holds your mail while
you're out of town.
Corresponds to Listserv's
NOMAIL
SET PHYS-L MAIL ACK Listproc distributes all
messages to you, including
ones you've sent. This
is the
default.
SET PHYS-L MAIL DIGEST Listproc sends you one message
daily, with all PHYS-L
items together

Q7: HOW DO I GET THE LISTPROC USER MANUAL?
A7: You can eventually get it from atlantis, but for now send mail to
listproc@listproc.net, with the following in the body of the message:

help listproc

Dick Smith
Department of Physics