Re: [Phys-L] Falling - the tale of a simple 1st degree non-linear ODE

This is beyond the usual capability of intro. students, so Eisberg and Lerner “do it” numerically. They call it the skydiver problem.

They give the ODE solution for the faithful students, as a cheque of the accuracy of the numerical.

bc Eisberg’s reader (QM) and MA student (oxygen-electron attachment in a multi-wire ionization chamber) at UCSB. (ca 1965)

I haven’t read it recently to know if linear drag is discussed applicable initially. (Well .. obviously for the first microseconds.)