Re: [Phys-L] Falling - the tale of a simple 1st degree non-linear ODE

Brian, the DE in question is fully separable and integrable with a fairly simple analytic solution (i.e. a hyperbolic tangent function). Once we redefine the problem in terms of dimensionless variables the solution is even universal.
Let a downward motion be the positive direction. The DE can be written as
m*dv/dt = m*g*(1 - (v/v_t^2))
where the terminal speed v_t is given by v_t = sqrt(2*m*g/(C_d*[rho]*A)). If we define a dimensionless dependent variable as u ==v/v_t, and define [tau] == g*t/v_t as a dimensionless independent temporal variable then the DE in terms of u & [tau] becomes: du/d{tau] = 1 - u^2 . This separable equation integrates to

u = tanh([tau] - [tau]_0) where [tau]_0 is an initial condition dependent integration constant. Translating this solution back to the original variables v & t gives

v = v_t*tanh(C*t + D) where

C == sqrt(C_d*[rho]*A*g/(2*m)) = g/v_t and

D == arctanh(v_0/v_t) .

Here the initial falling velocity v_0 is assumed to be *positive*, so the object is already headed downward somewhat initially when t = 0. OTOH if v_0 is negative and the particle is initially launched upward then things are significantly more complicated because for the upward portion of the motion the drag force reverses direction and this changes the DE so the solution for the upbound segment is written in terms of trig functions instead of hyperbolic functions. The overall solution then has a splice in it matching the upward motion to the downward motion at the moment when v = 0 at the peak of the ascent.

BTW, if the object is launched straight upward from some given level at a speed v_u, and it is moving at speed v_d on the way down at the moment when it reaches the same level, then v_u, v_d and v_t are mutually related by

1/(v_d)^2 = 1/(v_u)^2 + 1/(v_t)^2 .

David Bowman