Re: [Phys-L] transform

Yes, I think that’s one common distinction, although if you google “rotational transform” you’ll get many hits in technical publications. So in the end, it appears most people agree that “transformation” can be shortened to “transform” (and save chalk) without any real loss. -Carl

On Aug 25, 2018, at 3:06 PM, Don via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

When I was learning the pertinent physics (1960s), it seems to me that the word "transform" (as a noun) was reserved for a change of variable which changed the type of function being considered (e.g. Fourier and Laplace transforms change time functions into related frequency functions). The word "transformation" (as a noun) was reserved for coordinate transformations, which, for the same function, expressed the same point in space (or space time) in different coordinates (e.g. spherical coordinate transformation or Lorentz transformation).

Don Polvani
AACC Dept. of Physics, Retired
Arnold, MD 21012

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Carl
Mungan
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:20 PM
To: PHYS-L <phys-l@phys-l.org>
Subject: [Phys-L] transform

We speak of Fourier transforms but Lorentz transformations.

Do you think there’s a difference (in mathematical physics) between a
“transform” and a “transformation”?

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F) Naval
Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363